Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Favorite Yarns - Meg's pick


Friend-of-the-shop Meg agreed to tell us about her favorite yarns. Thanks, Meg!

"The first thing I'm attracted to in a yarn is the color. I like neutrals, but for my purposes I consider bright red and pink to be neutrals..."

Shown in the picture, clockwise, from the upper left:

Misti Alpaca. "I love Misti because it's so soft and warm. It makes a very cozy sweater and knits up quickly."

Colinette Giotto. "This yarn has that wonderful handmade quality. The fibers are cotton/nylon/rayon, and they take and hold the vivid colors beautifully. Perfect for a summer sweater. Colinette is a Welsh company, and I'm of Welsh descent, so I like that."

Manos del Uruguay 100% wool. "Fun to knit with and comes in a ton of great colors. I picked a steel-blue/gray for the picture."

Tilli Tomas Rock Star spun silk with glass beads. (Meg chose a bright silver color.) "This is such a rich and beautiful silk. It's fun to work with beads, and it's not as hard as it looks. You can make some really sophisticated scarves and accessories with this stuff."

Meg knit the sweater she is wearing in the picture, using hand-spun she purchased at Rhinebeck a year or two ago. (Officially, the sweater is her husband's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment