Thursday, December 10, 2009

First Knitting Book Review!

We have a guest blogger today: friend-of-the-shop Becky reviews While My Pretty One Knits by Anne Canadeo. We love guest content for the blog! Would you like to write something for our blog? Send your ideas to freshpurlsblog (at) gmail.com.

I don’t think I’m alone when I admit that I have trouble choosing between knitting and reading. Before I knew how to knit I read more than 50 books every year! And then the yarn addiction hit, and my reading slowed in favor of watching a piece of string become something special.

Although, sometimes it’s just nice to sit down and read a book. One afternoon while killing time in a Barnes & Noble (somehow I’d left the house without a knitting project in my bag) I came across a table full of mystery books, and right on top was the title While My Pretty One Knits by Anne Canadeo. I had to buy it.

While My Pretty One Knits is a classic whodunit mystery, but I would characterize it as whodunit lite. It opens in a small town yarn store preparing for a visit from a famous knit designer. We soon meet the central characters – a group of women who met through knitting and have become close friends – and then tragedy strikes. The rival yarn store owner is found murdered in her store.

The mystery follows a fairly traditional path, and figuring out who the killer is wasn’t too hard. What I really enjoyed about this book was the friendships. When our yarn shop owner is suspected of the murder her knitting pals rally around her in Jessica Fletcher fashion and embark on an investigation of their own. Along the way they knit, frog, share margaritas, work, date, make Jell-o molds, and generally do all of the things I do with my friends that I’ve made through knitting.

Ultimately would I recommend this book? I would. It’s a fast read (so you can get back to those UFOs), filled with women you want by your side in a crisis, and spots where you will giggle at the knitting jokes (the dog Tink, for instance).

Next up on my bedside stand? Death by Cashmere. Ooooooh.

No comments:

Post a Comment